Note You must first register and pay for the meeting before submitting an abstract.
Special Instructions for 2020 Virtual Meeting
This year all podium and Pecha Kucha presentations must be pre-recorded and uploaded to a video hosting service like YouTube and set to unlisted so that they are only accessible to meeting participants before the meeting. After the meeting you can make them public or delete them as you like. All posters will be uploaded to our web site. Optionally, posters can also be complemented by a short (3-5 minutes maximum) pre-recorded audio or video explanation. Like the podium and Pecha Kucha presentations, the presenter is responsible for uploading this on an appropriate site. We will provide more details later, but we will require that all presenters send us a link to their content prior to the meeting so that we can make a program with links to your content.
Also, this year's podium presentations are limited to 10 minutes. We will also ask that you provide three slides highlighting your talk that will be shown during the actual meeting. Pecha Kucha are the standard 6:40 (20 slides of 20 seconds each).
Normally we are quite limited on how many podium and Pecha Kucha presentations we have. This year the virtual format may allow us some flexibility, but this may also depend again on how many abstracts we receive. Additionally, we are still talking about how best to integrate posters. Again, depending on numbers, we may integrate posters directly into a thematic program that groups presentations of all types. For now, we ask that you consider the best format to present your results, and we will do our best to accomodate this.
More details to follow in the coming weeks.
Please be aware of the following criteria for the evaluation of abstracts:
- Abstracts must be in English and have a strict minimum and maximum character limit (minimum 2000 characters, maximum 4000 characters, with spaces).
- Each first author can submit only one abstract.
- We discourage simultaneous podium (including Pecha Kucha) and poster presentations by the same group of authors on a similar topic.
- We strongly encourage Pecha Kucha presentations (see below).
- Abstracts lacking in substance may not be accepted. All abstracts should have a clear description of the research with mention of methods and results.
- Abstracts are evaluated using a peer-review, graded scale. Normally all papers are reviewed by 2-4 reviewers per subfield using a quantitative ranking. The top ranking papers are selected for podium presentations.
- For podium presentations, including Pech Kucha, the significance statement is an important part of the review process. Please distill into a few short sentences for a human evolution scientists outside their particular field of specialty why this presentation is important.
- Accepted presenters will be notified in late June or early July.
- Due to time constraints, only a limited number of podiums presentations will be accepted. Therefore some authors not accepted for podium talks will be offered the option of presenting a poster.
Student Pecha Kucha and Poster Prizes
We have up to 3000€ available for student poster and Pecha Kucha prizes. To be considered for a prize you must first submit your abstract via the online system, and check the box which states “Enter the student poster or Pecha Kucha prize”. If a poster, a PDF must be uploaded on our web site (see Upload link above) by Sept. 13, 2020 in order to be evaluated. Please Note To qualify as a student, participants must not have completed their PhD before the abstract submission deadline.
Pecha Kucha Session
The ESHE meeting includes presentations following the Pecha Kucha format. These have become very popular. The Pecha Kucha presentations are strictly limited to 6 minutes and 40 seconds, and they must contain exactly 20 slides. This timing can be accomplished in programs like PowerPoint by setting a 20 second timer for all slides in the Transitions menu. For more information on Pecha Kucha format, please visit: http://www.pechakucha.org/
Abstract Submission Form
We are sorry, but ESHE abstract submission closed on June 16, 2020.